REVEL IN RED
Take inspiration from Scandinavians for a look that brilliantly blends simplicity with style. “Red brings warmth and a traditional glow to a table,” says Kate Dyson, owner of The Dining Room Shop.
“My suggestion would be red napkins, a matching runner and red goblets. A low, clear glass bowl vase – or one in silvery mercury glass – filled with red roses encircled by a red berry wreath makes a wonderful centrepiece.
“Always add finishing touches such as small bud vases with white or red single blooms or miniature presents beside each plate. You could also tie on to the back of each chair, with red ribbon, a small cluster of red baubles and a white label bearing each guest’s name.”
GET THE LOOK
- Create a festive feast on a budget with these items from Poundland. All items £1 (www.poundland.co.uk)
- Artland Midnight flute, £8.33 or £31 for set of four, Red Candy (www.redcandy.co.uk/0121 224 7728)
- Pine Cone and Berry Heart artificial wreath, £19, Bloom (www.bloom.uk.com/0844 482 2332)
- Villeroy & Boch Red Water Goblet, from £12.14, Amazon (www.amazon.co.uk)
- Landon Tyler Red and Black Festive Candle Holder, £10, Brand Alley (www.brandalley.co.uk)
- Short Red Glass Candlestick, £7.99, The Contemporary Home (www.tch.net/02392 469 400)
ALL THAT GLITTERS
Choose gold to create an opulent table setting with plenty of wow factor.
“Gold is always synonymous with luxury, and it can be interpreted in two ways,” says Clare Harris, founder of Talking Tables, specialists in party and table accessories.
“Either take a traditional approach by using darker antique shades of gold, or give it a contemporary spin by using sleek, gilded, modern table accessories that will look dazzling and be bang on-trend.
“Start with a white table cover base, but layer on gold charger plates, gold crackers, gold napkin; gold table gems, gold candles and gold table garlands. Never be afraid of adding opulence and glamour to a Christmas table. This is a place you want guests to linger and relax long after the meal is over.”
GET THE LOOK
Add a touch of gold to your dining table this Christmas.
- Mirror two-tier cake stand, £30; platinum band wine glass, £10; platinum band champagne flute, £10, platinum band champagne saucer, £10, set of six mirror coasters, £28, mirrored place mats, £15 each, faceted glass candle holder, £10, three mini candles winter set, £12, Laura Ashley (www.lauraashley.com/0871 230 2301)
- Six Luxury Gold Embossed Crackers, £30, John Lewis (www.johnlewis.com/0845 6049 049)
- Artel Crystal salt and pepper set, £95, Gift Library (www.giftlibrary.com/0203 0800 530)
- Landon Tyler Set of 3 Gold Tealight Holders, £28, Brand Alley (www.brandalley.co.uk)
- Gold Charger Plate, £1, Poundland (www.poundland.co.uk)
- Chilewich Tuxedo Stripe Gold Runner, £80, Amara (www.amara.co.uk)
- Chilewich Gold Vinyl Dahlia Round Placemat, £10.50, Amara (www.amara.co.uk)
Conjure a classic snowy white setting for a serene, tranquil table, and perfectly showcase the lavish feast.
“A winter wonderland look for a table never fails to draw compliments as it is delightfully easy-on-the-eye, and such a calming contrast to all the colour and detail of the festive decorations,” says Sylvia Oakley, tableware stylist for Villeroy & Boch.
“A crisp white tablecloth, napkins, white tableware and candles are, of course, the main ingredients, but just as essential are elements of the natural world, from pine cones to sprigs of ivy, and a tiny bunch of mistletoe tied with a white velvet ribbon to each napkin.”
GET THE LOOK
- It’ll be all-white on the night, with snow-themed dining. Noel letter block, £8.00; Icicle lights, £20.00; Large lit star, £39.00; Ticino white high gloss dining table and four chairs, £499; Sparkly reindeer, £9.00; Luxury Tom Smith Crackers, £29.99 for six; Maxwell and Williams white 12-piece dinner set, £49.95; Dartington Glitz Crystal wine goblets, champagne flutes, tumblers all with real crystallised Swarovski elements, £35 a pair; Silver table chargers, £4.75 each; White and silver filigree napkins, £20.00 for a set of four, Sterling Furniture (www.sterlingfurniture.co.uk)
- Star Shape Cake Stand, £5, Morrisons (www.morrisons.co.uk)
- Christmas Shape Plates, £2 each, Morrisons (www.morrisons.co.uk)
- White Lace tableware, from £12.50, Villeroy & Boch (www.villeroy-boch.co.uk/ 020 8875 6060)
- Frosted Pine Cone Wreath, £20; 6ft White Glitter Tree, £150; Wooden Heart Lantern, £12; Vertical Heart Star Garland, £12; White and Brown Pine Cone; £2.50; Check Tablecloth, from £35; Ercol Chiltern Dining Chair, £199 each, John Lewis (www.johnlewis.com/0845 6049 049)
Create a frosty table with an elegant silver theme to add sparkle and drama to a setting.
“Magical settings with an element of glitter and glitz are one of the strongest trends this season,” says Anne Singer, owner of the Monogrammed Linen Shop.
“Silver plated candlesticks, silver charger plates and cutlery or napkins tied with silver ribbon always give a celebratory feel to a table.
“Make a focal point of a crystal bowl filled with silver baubles, use foliage sprayed silver to go down the centre of the table and entwine it around place settings, then scatter silver sequins.”
GET THE LOOK
- Keep it chic and subtle with a slight silver touch. Fenton bone china dinnerware, from £9; Emily quilted cotton placemats in Mist, from £45 for set of 6; Stuart cutlery, and Greenwich wine glasses, from £42 for set of 6, Neptune (www.neptune.com)
- Brissi candelabra, £145, John Lewis (www.johnlewis.com/0845 6049 049)
- Large Silver Cone Tree, £4, Wilkinson (www.wilkinsonplus.com)
- Silver Wreath with Gems, £10, Wilkinson (www.wilkinsonplus.com)
- Landon Tyler Set of 3 Silver Glass Tealight Holders, £24, Brand Alley (www.brandalley.co.uk)