Council to cut £68m from budget

news

news

1
Have your say

West Sussex County Council has discussed the £68m of ‘efficiency savings’ needed to balance its budget over the next two years.

Councillors met on December 12 where plans to meet the budget cuts were laid out.

Introducing his statement, cabinet member for finance Cllr Michael Brown said: “One of the many complimentary findings of the recent Independent Peer Review was that we are ‘good with finances’.

“And my goodness haven’t we needed to have been. The Spending Review called upon this authority to reduce its cost base by £79m over a four year period. In practice we saved more than £100m and not over four years, but just three.”

Cllr Brown insisted frontline services would be preserved despite the cuts. But he warned the Government’s financial support for councils would ‘virtually disappear’ over the life of the financial plan.

Cllr Brown explained the cabinet has opted against a council tax increase and dipping into reserves, opting instead to stick to what they know.

He said: “We will embark on yet another programme of radical efficiency measures and productivity improvements. We have done it before and we will do it again.

“This option maintains frontline service budgets.

“That’s good news for the people who depend upon our social and other services for residents. It allows us not to increase the burden of taxation on residents.

“That’s good news for the people who pay for and fund our social and other services.”

UKIP members were largely supportive of the report, but insisted the council should carefully prioritise where the cuts should be made. Other opposition councillors were critical.

Leader of the Liberal Democrat group James Walsh said: “I’m hearing it increasingly that there’s this suggestion that we may have to move to a statutory only service provider. That would be a very, very sad day for West Sussex where lots of things we have done well – rights of way is one issue, but that can be replicated across West Sussex.

“If we have to stop doing those things because they are not statutory services, the quality of life for our residents will undoubtedly deteriorate.

“I’m not attempting to tar everybody in the Tory party, but there is this ‘tea party’ tendency both locally and centrally to do the minimum and letting people do everything else themselves.

“I don’t think that will be accepted by the electorate even in West Sussex.”

He added it was wrong to deny frontline services had already been affected naming youth services, bus service withdrawals and social care for elderly people.

Leader of the Labour group Peter Lamb said the cabinet had to be ‘more creative’ with savings.

Also discussed was the Future West Sussex 2015-2019 Plan – a vision for the county which will determine how its finances will be spent.

Introducing that document, leader of the council Louise Goldsmith denied Dr Walsh’s concerns saying ‘despite the gloom around the money we still need to deliver services, to meet our statutory responsibilities such as the all important safeguarding duties in the face of every growing demands and we want to help people to help themselves’.

Both documents expect to be formally approved and adopted at February’s full council meeting.