A Crawley woman has told how she and her Jack Russell escaped a house fire.
Sarana de Sousa suffered smoke inhalation and her kitchen was destroyed in Webb Close, Broadfield, on Sunday, September 20.
Sarana, an asthma sufferer, woke at around 4am to find her home filled with smoke from a fridge fire.
She coughed and retched as she carried her semi-conscious dog out downstairs and out of the house.
She heard an explosion as she called the fire service and added: “Not a soul in the court where I lived had woken up until the firefighters woke my neighbours either side and evacuated them for their safety.”
She was checked by paramedics and refused to go to hospital ‘as I didn’t want to be separated from my little dog’.
She stayed at her son’s Southgate home until the fire was out by about 5.30am.
She said: “My property is currently uninhabitable due to fire and smoke damage.
“Everything is covered in a thick layer of soot and the artex from the ceiling has melted contaminating my belongings with a small amount of asbestos. Very little is salvageable due to being impregnated by smoke and soot.
“My house insurance has arranged somewhere for me to move to while the house is cleared and repaired but until I move into this property I have been staying at the Crawley Travelodge along with my dog. My grateful thanks to all the staff there who have put up with my vocal dog charging in and out of the foyer.
“I would also like to thank the emergency services for their support. My grateful thanks to the fire crews for saving my property from burning down completely, stopping the fire spreading to neighbouring properties and ensuring the safety of my neighbours.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.