Crawley firefighters put out fire in young family’s home

Fire SUS-150806-142602001
Fire SUS-150806-142602001
0
Have your say

Firefighters put out an electrical fire in a young family’s home.

Two Crawley crews were called to the property in Brookhill Road, Copthorne, at 7.30pm on Tuesday (June 23).

The fire started in the home’s electrical intake, which was attached to an outer wall on the ground floor.

It spread through the wall’s cavity to a bathroom behind the faulty intake.

Watch Manager Simon Constable said: “If we hadn’t arrived as promptly as we did there was the potential for the fire within the cavity to spread further into the property.”

The fire caused heat and smoke damage to the bathroom and front porch.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used dry powder and carbon dioxide extinguishers to put it out.

Crews used an extraction fan to remove smoke from the mid-terraced house.

Firefighters checked the electrics were safe with UK Power Networks.

The wall’s insulation was removed.

Crews were in attendance within ten minutes of being called by a member of the family.

The family had left their home. No one was hurt.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.