Crawley mum thanks air ambulance and hospital for saving son’s life


A little boy who broke his skull in two places during an adventure playground accident will be returning to school in September.

Harvey Tagorti, 8, was playing at Cherry Lane Adventure Playground in April, when a wooden pole which was part of the swing on which he was playing, struck him on the head.

Harvey, who was seven at the time of the accident, was left with bleeding and massive swelling to his brain.

Accompanied by his mother, Faye, Harvey was airlifted to St George’s Hospital, Tooting, where he was the first paediatric patient to arrive on the helipad which had only opened the day before.

Faye said: “I am so grateful that the helipad was open.

“The paramedics were incredible and I am convinced that the speed of our journey and the brilliance of the air ambulance team and the medical care at St George’s saved my son’s life.”

Harvey, who is a pupil at Milton Mount School, Pound Hill, underwent emergency surgery to relieve the pressure on his skull.

The operation involved the removal of a piece of bone to allow the pressure to ease – and his parents were warned the chances he would survive were only 50-50. But the determined lad defied the odds and came through the operation.

He was placed in a medically induced coma for eight days before he was able to breathe on his own and began to respond to the sound of his family’s voices.

Following another operation to replace the bone, he was moved to a ward and promptly amazed the staff with his rate of recovery.

Staff nurse, Vicky Sullivan, said: “Harvey was a joyful boy who never appeared phased by his injuries or trips to theatre.

“It was our pleasure to take care of him and support his family during his recovery.”

Harvey and Faye returned to St George’s on Thursday (May 29) where they met Mayor of London Boris Johnson, who was there for the official opening of the £5million helipad.

Following Harvey’s accident, Crawley Borough Council closed all four of the town’s adventure playgrounds for a thorough inspection. It is awaiting a final report from the Health & Safety Executive.