Twelve people were left homeless three weeks after a fire damaged electrics at a block of flats.
The apartment block in Beverley Mews, Three Bridges, was evacuated at around 1am on May 19.
Liam Barrett, 26, said his family was left homeless for two weeks but his third and fourth floor neighbours had still not been allowed back into their homes.
Liam, his partner and one-year-old son moved in with family in Crawley until they returned to their flat on May 30. Around 20 people live in the block.
Liam said the move affected his son’s wellbeing.
He said: “That was the worst thing because he didn’t have his own bed he couldn’t sleep at night.”
Liam added his family were lucky to be able to stay in Crawley after the fire.
Neighbours who did not have family in town moved to Brighton and London.
Five fire crews were called to the electrical cupboard fire in the third floor at around 1am.
Heavy smoke issued from the five-storey building.
A spokesman for energy supplier Npower said electrical wiring repairs were an issue between tenants and their landlords.
Liam’s family left before firefighters arrived. His partner had smelt the smoke.
Liam worried for his neighbours’ property while he watched firefighters at work.
He said: “The smoke was billowing out of the roof, windows, hallways.
“My dad’s a fireman - I’ve been told how quickly it could spread.
“I was worried for the apartments further up. It was touch and go.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.