Crawley primary school caretaker found guilty of attacking teenagers

Lewes Crown Court ENGSUS00120120602113431
Lewes Crown Court ENGSUS00120120602113431
0
Have your say

A primary school caretaker has been found guilty of attacking a group of teenagers.

Karl Lucas, 27, of Manor Fields, Horsham, who is employed as a premises officer at the Three Bridges Primary School, Gales Drive, was involved in an attack on five teenagers.

West Sussex County Council said Lucas was not currently at work. Sussex Police said at about 5pm on July 12 last year a group of teenagers, two aged 18, and three 16 year olds, were attacked by two men as they walked in Manor Fields Park, Horsham.

The men tried to grab the teenagers’ football and cricket bat after confronting them. The two 18-year-old victims were each punched during the incident. One suffered minor cuts but the other was not injured.

Karl Lucas, 27, and Ben Lucas, 24, of Denne Road, Horsham, pleaded guilty to affray when they appeared at Lewes Crown Court on June 22.

They were both ordered to do 100 hours of community service and made to pay costs, £100 compensation and a £60 victim surcharge.

Karl was made to pay £500 costs and Ben was made to pay £300. A spokesperson for WSCC said: “We can confirm that Karl Lucas is employed as a premises officer at Three Bridges Primary School, however we would like to stress he is not currently at work. Since the incident occurred the county council and the school have implemented all of the appropriate internal policy and procedures to investigate this situation and at all times the school has followed advice given by the county council. An assessment of the situation was made when Mr Lucas disclosed the offence. As the information we received indicated that his victim was an adult and the offence occurred in his private life and was in no way connected to the school, we concluded that he did not pose a risk of harm to children. The safety of children at the school has always been of the utmost importance and we would like to assure parents that the appropriate action will be taken to conclude this matter through the school’s appropriate policy.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.