Crawley residents took part in one minute’s silence for Tunisia victims

Flowers at the scene of the massacre in Sousse as sources warned the British death toll could rise to at least 30
Flowers at the scene of the massacre in Sousse as sources warned the British death toll could rise to at least 30

Crawley Borough Council held a minute’s silence at noon today (Friday, July 3) in the Town Hall to remember victims of last week’s Tunisian beach attack.

There will be a nationwide minute’s silence today​ at noon following the terrorist attack in Tunisia on Friday (June 26).

The Prime Minister, David Cameron made the announcement in the House of Commons as an act of remembrance, to take place one week on from the beach massacre that killed dozens of Britons.

This comes as suspected associates of the gunman have been arrested. Tunisia’s interior minister Najem Gharsalli said a ‘significant number’ of individuals were detained.

Mr Cameron, who chaired a meeting of the Government’s Cobra emergencies committee at 10 Downing Street earlier, promised a ‘full spectrum response’ to extremist terror.

Mr Cameron said the holidaymakers ‘suddenly became the victims of the most brutal terrorist attack against the British people for many years’.

It was announced that within the next few days there will be a major counter-terrorism training exercise in London.

He added that new rules will come into force this week giving public bodies a statutory duty to counter extremism.

The Foreign Office has updated its travel advice, but it is not advising against travel to holiday resorts like Sousse.

See travel advice for Tunisia - Gov.UK.