Ex-Crawley Tigers Cycle Speedway Club coach jailed for sex offences against boys

Michael Green SUS-140228-142006001
Michael Green SUS-140228-142006001

A former Crawley Tigers Cycle Speedway Club coach who carried out sex attacks on vulnerable young boys has been jailed for nine years.

Michael James Green, from Hove, chose his victims from cycle speedway clubs that he set up, including one in Havant which is now closed.

Judge Anthony Niblett, sitting at Hove Crown Court, said the 71-old had been in denial about his sexuality for decades and had managed to convince himself that the offences never happened.

But he had in fact wreaked emotional and psychological damage on his victims which affected them throughout their lives.

He was convicted of the offences last month and sentenced today (Friday February 28).

Green was jailed for eight years for rape, a further 12 months for indecent assault and a 12 months to run concurrently for a further indecent assault.

After he was convicted earlier this month, it emerged that Green had links with Crawley paedophile Roy Whiting, who killed seven-year-old schoolgirl Sarah Payne in West Sussex in 2000.

Green, Whiting’s former coach at Crawley Tigers Cycle Speedway Club, was convicted of four child sex offences against boys, including the abuse of a boy at the defunct Havant Cycle Speedway Club in the early 1980s.

The link between the pair emerged through a photograph of them grinning next to each other at a speedway awards ceremony. Green is said to have been a ‘mentor’ for killer Whiting.

Detective Constable Dawn Robertson said; “There is no current evidence of any other offending by Green but, as with all such cases, if anyone has new information they can contact Sussex Police via 101 at any time. Although every case is assessed on its individual merits, we will always follow up allegations of sexual abuse of children regardless of how long ago they are said to have happened. Anyone who wants to report alleged offending of this type can always contact us at any time via 101 and arrange to talk in confidence to specially trained detectives.”

The first victim to come forward, who was at court today to hear the sentencing, said; “The impact that this man has had on me and on my life has been like a life sentence, and today I can find some closure as justice has been done. The support from the police and their belief in my case has been invaluable and I would strongly encourage anyone who has abused to come forward. You will be taken seriously.”