Firefighters issue safety warning following dishwasher fire in Crawley

Fire SUS-150806-142602001

Fire SUS-150806-142602001

0
Have your say

Firefighters are warning people about the dangers of leaving electrical appliances on when they are out following a dishwasher fire in Crawley this morning.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service (WSFRS) was called to a terraced house on Hazelwick Road just before 10.30am this morning (June 16) after a neighbour heard the property’s smoke detector sounding and raised the alarm.

Two fire crews from Crawley were on scene within eight minutes and a team wearing breathing apparatus entered the house to find the ground floor heavily smoke logged.

The blaze was quickly extinguished using hose reels but the kitchen was left badly damaged by fire and the rest of the property damaged by smoke.

Support for the occupier was provided by Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service volunteers.

Crawley Crew Manager Julian Bridgman who attended the fire said:“The occupier had gone out leaving the dishwasher running. Thankfully, we’d previously carried out a Home Fire Safety visit to the property and fitted two smoke detectors.

“It was fortunate that the neighbour heard the detectors sounding and acted quickly to raise the alarm.

“Our advice is not to run electrical appliances like dishwashers or washing machines while you are out or overnight while you are in bed.

“If a fault develops and the appliance overheats it could catch fire. It is also really important to have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home. A working smoke alarm will give you that vital early warning to a developing fire.”

WSFRS has released the following advise:

. Don’t leave washing machines, dishwashers or tumble dryers on overnight or while you are out

. Regularly check for worn or frayed wires

. Keep appliances in clean and good working order

. Ensure you have a smoke detector on each level of your home

. Register your electrical appliances at www.registermyappliance.org.uk

Did you know that West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service offers FREE Home Fire Safety Visits? Call 0845 872 9719 or log onto www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire to find out if you are eligible.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawley.observer

3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.