A charity empowering young men to fulfil their potential has received a £40,000 funding boost.
Mentoring service aBandofBrothers received the money in the latest round of grants from the police and crime commissioner’s Safer in Sussex Community fund.
It was one of 11 groups to receive a total of £91,117.52 from the fund this week.
The charity aims to reduce offending by mentoring young men in Crawley, Brighton and Eastbourne who are involved in, or at risk of becoming caught up in, crime.
“We provide local adult men who want to make a difference with intensive training that develops mentoring skills, emotional intelligence and enhances confidence”, said Nathan Roberts, co-founder of aBandofBrothers.
“This in turn empowers these men to provide training and ongoing mentorship to other young men in their communities, who have lost their way and are involved in the criminal justice system.
“Our volunteer mentors include local businessmen, tradesmen, and professionals, including police officers, who act as role models for young men experiencing difficult life situations.
“The grant from the Safer in Sussex Fund will support our work to target those young men most at risk of offending and provide them with personal and practical support, to enable them to turn their lives around.”
Since the fund was launched in December last year, more than 100 applications have been submitted with more than £400,000 given out to support crime reduction and community safety initiatives.
Police and crime commissioner Katy Bourne said: “I am delighted with the response so far to the fund, which tells me local organisations and community groups care about – and are committed to – helping keep Sussex safe.
“I look forward to following the progress of these projects over the coming months and monitoring the impact they are making in our communities.”
The next closing date for applications is September 30. For information about the scheme and how to apply, visit www.sussex-pcc.gov.uk/safer-in-sussex-community-fund.