Closer treatment for local cancer patients
Cancer patients in Crawley are being brought closer to treatment with new state-of-the-art life saving equipment in Redhill.
In the same week a manufacturer of medical devices expanded within Crawley, it also ensured local people will be closer to advanced radiotherapy equipment within the next two years.
Varian Medical Systems, the Crawley based world leader in radiotherapy equipment and software, will supply two TrueBeam radiotherapy systems to be used at a new cancer facility in Redhill.
This new site will offer local cancer patients treatment facilities within a 30 minute drive.
Up to now, patients in Crawley have needed to travel for up to an hour for treatments at Guildford or Brighton.
This new site will be a satellite facility for Royal Surrey County (RSC) Hospital in Guildford meaning that the trusted RSC Hospital team will administer the radiotherapy treatments, which are expected to begin in early 2014.
Professor Andrew Nisbet, head of radiotherapy physics at the RSC Hospital, said this order would bring people in Crawley close to some very new and advanced equipment.
He said: “We want to provide state-of-the-art radiotherapy treatments closer to home for patients in the area.”
Varian Medical Systems has been based in Crawley since 1984 and RSC Hospital already uses six of the company’s radiotherapy treatment devices.
But the Varian’s TrueBeam treatment device, introduced in 2010, is new to RSC and it offers technical innovations that synchronise imaging, patient positioning, motion management, and radiotherapy treatment delivery.
This news comes in the same week that the company expanded into a new building on Gatwick Road called Oncology House.
The official opening took place on Wednesday (November 28) and Crawley MP Henry Smith joined vice president of global manufacturing Robert Wood, to cut the ribbon at the new premises.
To find out more about Varian Medical Systems, visit the website at www.varian.com
- BREAKING NEWS: Oakhurst Grange Nursing Home to close
- Bury winger Worrall rejects Crawley Town move
- Fund to be set up in memory of boy who died after mirror fell on him
- Traffic cones come to life in Crawley town centre!
- Crawley council leader to contest claims he sexually harassed fellow councillor with text messages
- Police officer denies shoplifting at Crawley Tesco
- New Sainsbury’s store in Horley
- Number of shops rises for first time in six years ... but tough times lie ahead
- From the back pages, May 9: Advantage Chelsea and Arsenal in race for Champions League as Tottenham’s 23-year winless streak at Stamford Bridge goes on
- Have your say on High Street parking plans
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Crawley
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 15 C to 26 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 12 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: East