Matthew’s foundation gains charity status
A FOUNDATION set up in memory of a Manor Green Primary School pupil has raised more than £12,000 and been granted charity status.
The Matthew Russo Foundation was launched by Dominic and Bridgette Russo after the death of their seven-year-old son. The boy died in St George’s Hospital, London, in September 2010, two weeks after choking on his food at school.
Dominic and Bridgette’s determination to make sure something positive came from their personal tragedy has led to dozens of fundraising events, bringing in thousands of pounds, and allowed them to help five children.
Dominic, of Shackleton Road, Tilgate, said: “The big news we have is that we have just received our charity registration number, which is 1148497.
“This is great news as now we have this number it enables us to do so many more fundraising activities and companies are more likely to donate to us. I think this is a great achievement as we have only been going for 18 months.”
The money raised has paid for iPads, sensory equipment, holidays and respite care for children with special needs and both Dominic and Bridgette hope there will be more to follow.
They are keen to hear from any parents/carers who think their child could benefit from the Foundation’s help.
Log on to the website www.thematthewrussofoundation.org.uk for details.
Dominic said: “Myself and Bridgette are so overwhelmed how well Matthew’s foundation has grown in such a short space of time and are so thankful that people are willing to give in memory of our son Matthew. Now we have the charity number Matthew’s memory will live on forever helping children like him enjoy their lives to the fullest.”
The next big fundraising event will be the Foundation’s annual barn dance, which is held on or around September 20 – Matthew’s birthday.
This year’s dance will take place at St Wilfrid’s School, Old Horsham Road, Southgate, on Saturday September 22 from 7.30-11pm.
Tickets cost £15 per adult and £5 per child. Email email@example.com or call 07969 615201.
- BREAKING NEWS: Oakhurst Grange Nursing Home to close
- Bury winger Worrall rejects Crawley Town move
- Fund to be set up in memory of boy who died after mirror fell on him
- Traffic cones come to life in Crawley town centre!
- Crawley council leader to contest claims he sexually harassed fellow councillor with text messages
- New Sainsbury’s store in Horley
- From the back pages, May 9: Advantage Chelsea and Arsenal in race for Champions League as Tottenham’s 23-year winless streak at Stamford Bridge goes on
- Have your say on High Street parking plans
- Arts and crafts at May Day fair
- From the back pages, May 8 - Alex Ferguson special: David Moyes to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Crawley
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 15 C to 27 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 12 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 9 mph
Wind direction: East