Neighbourhood Watch Crawley
Neighbourhood Watch members caught one of their number completely off guard at their AGM when they introduced a string of VIPs to tell her she had won an award.
Mary Grace, area co-ordinator for Three Bridges, became only the third person to be presented with the West Sussex Certificate of Achievement on behalf of the Lord Lieutenant, Mrs Susan Pyper.
At the AGM in the Friary Hall, Haslett Avenue, on October 5, chairman John Wright interrupted his welcoming address to announce that guests the Deputy Lord Lieutenant of West Sussex, Daphne Antony, the chairman of West Sussex County Council, Mike Coleman, and Three Bridges & Northgate Cllr Bob Burgess had something important to say.
It was explained that, 18 months ago, Mr Coleman and the Lord Lieutenant, Mrs Susan Pyper had set up an award scheme known as the West Sussex Certificate of Achievement, to honour people who had given of their time, efforts, energies and talents over many years.
The award was deliberately set up to be difficult to achieve.
Gobsmacked Mary, who has dedicated years to her life to the local community, was totally unaware that the team had nominated her for an award.
Her certificate reads: “We wish to record our appreciation to Mary Grace for her long, dedicated and continuous service to her local community and in particular in support of Neighbourhood Watch and the Nautical Training Corps, and we express our immense gratitude for this outstanding record.”
NHWA chairman John Wright said: “I was absolutely delighted to learn that Mary was to be given this award.
“It is a rare honour but entirely fitting that the community acknowledges the enormous voluntary contributions that Mary has made over many years to Neighbourhood Watch and many other good causes. We are extremely grateful, and very proud of her.”
Cllr Bob Burgess (Con, Three Bridges) said: “Mary is fully deserving of this award as she has, over many years, given her time and energies to help others.
“She is always cheerful and nothing seems too much for her.
“I also know that when she received the award she was suitably surprised and speechless but a more worthy recipient for the award would be very difficult to find.”
- BREAKING NEWS: Oakhurst Grange Nursing Home to close
- Bury winger Worrall rejects Crawley Town move
- Fund to be set up in memory of boy who died after mirror fell on him
- Traffic cones come to life in Crawley town centre!
- Crawley council leader to contest claims he sexually harassed fellow councillor with text messages
- New Sainsbury’s store in Horley
- From the back pages, May 9: Advantage Chelsea and Arsenal in race for Champions League as Tottenham’s 23-year winless streak at Stamford Bridge goes on
- Have your say on High Street parking plans
- Arts and crafts at May Day fair
- From the back pages, May 8 - Alex Ferguson special: David Moyes to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Crawley
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 15 C to 27 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 12 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 9 mph
Wind direction: East