NHS reforms will mean GPs run hospital
GPs will be in charge of Crawley Hospital from April next year when NHS West Sussex is abolished as part of government plans to reform the health service.
The Crawley Clinical Commissioning Group, made up of a team of GPs from the town’s doctors surgeries, will decide on essential health services in the Crawley area and manage the budget.
NHS West Sussex which currently owns Crawley Hospital, on West Green Drive, is set to be abolished and a NHS property company brought in to manage the building – but it would have no control over health services.
The Government said the move would make the NHS more ‘locally driven.’
Currently NHS West Sussex allows trusts such as the Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust and Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust to run services out of the hospital while it decides which services run at the hospital and who receives them.
But that decision will now be transferred to GPs who will decide which services they want at the hospital.
A spokesman for NHS West Sussex said: “The Crawley Commissioning Group are already in place. It is led by GPs. A team of GPs will be responsible for essential health services in the Crawley area.
“They wouldn’t be responsible for putting money in themselves, but they will decide the budget.
“Everyone who has a PCT will transfer to the ownership of a NHS property company which owns the bricks and mortar and holds all of the deeds.
“The clinical commissioning group will get to decide services and the health services they have in an area. If they want a certain service at Crawley Hospital it would be them that decides that.”
Crawley Clinical Commission Group is already working on a number of improvements to services in the area including gynaecology and urology.
- BREAKING NEWS: Oakhurst Grange Nursing Home to close
- Bury winger Worrall rejects Crawley Town move
- Fund to be set up in memory of boy who died after mirror fell on him
- Traffic cones come to life in Crawley town centre!
- Crawley council leader to contest claims he sexually harassed fellow councillor with text messages
- New Sainsbury’s store in Horley
- From the back pages, May 9: Advantage Chelsea and Arsenal in race for Champions League as Tottenham’s 23-year winless streak at Stamford Bridge goes on
- Have your say on High Street parking plans
- Arts and crafts at May Day fair
- From the back pages, May 8 - Alex Ferguson special: David Moyes to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Crawley
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 15 C to 27 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 12 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 9 mph
Wind direction: East