Six people were rescued from a block of flats in Southgate today (Monday March 3) after a fire in the communal hallway.
Two crews from Crawley Fire Station were called to Springfield Road at 10.48am.
Two people were rescued before they arrived. Firefighters rescued three people via the ground floor exit and a disabled woman from a ground floor window.
They were all treated on the scene for smoke inhalation.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue believe the blaze was accidental.
A spokesman said there was some vinyl flooring being laid on the ground floor and officers think the blaze was caused by electrical cross-over between some solvent placed next to a power point.