The curator of the Museum of Crawley said it was due to open at its new site in November 2016.
The new museum will be at The Tree in the town centre.
Crawley Museum Society curator Helen Poole said work at the site on the corner of London Road and The Boulevard was due to start on November 2.
She said: “If we are to open in November next year there’s a great deal of work to be done.
“It’s coming together very nicely, we are getting a lot more material.”
Helen appealed for donations of items which tell the history of Manor Royal.
She said: “For some strange reason virtually no material [of Manor Royal] has found its way into hour care which is very frustrating.
“An awful lot of people worked there and it’s a really important part of our history.”
She revealed that a 60cm by 43cm marble engraved plaque for Redifon, a Crawley engineering firm, had been donated for the new museum.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.