Moving home is an exciting time but, we understand that the process can sometimes prove a little stressful. Having an overview of the Key Stages of the Conveyancing process can often be helpful.
1. Pre Contract Enquiries – once the estate agent has successfully negotiated the sale of a property and, an offer has been accepted, you will be asked to instruct your legal advisor. Your legal advisor will agree the contract, check the legal title to the property, carry out all the necessary searches and report to you with their findings.
2. Mortgage Offer – your legal advisor will receive a copy of your mortgage offer and check with you that the offer and conditions are correct.
3. Survey – if you are purchasing a property, prior to exchange of contracts you should consider instructing a surveyor. A survey will highlight any areas of repair or maintenance that may be required.
4. Exchange of Contracts – this is the point at which both the seller and the buyer will be legally committed to the transaction. The purchase price and completion date will be fixed and the buyer will be asked to pay a deposit.
5. Completion Date – it is on this day that your legal advisor will transfer the monies obtained from you and your mortgage lender to the sellers solicitors. Once completion has taken place the estate agent will deal with the hand over of keys.
6. Registration – following completion the buyers solicitors will update the records held at the Land Registry.
If you need any assistance with your conveyancing transaction The Owen Kenny Partnership will be happy to help. Please feel free to contact our Bognor Branch on 01243 864865 or our Chichester Branch on 01243 532777.