UPDATE: Baseball bats and stones used as weapons in Crawley mass brawl

No Caption ABCDE ENGEMN00120131007154019
No Caption ABCDE ENGEMN00120131007154019

Seven people were arrested after police from Crawley and neighbouring areas were called to break up a fight between around 50 youths in Crawley yesterday (Sunday July 27).

More than 20 calls were received by police as the youths clashed in Dorsten Square, Bewbush.

There were reports of baseball bats and stones being used as weapons.

A police officer was attacked, suffering minor injuries.

Two people were struck by a car. The driver was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and the car was seized, said Sussex Police.

Chief Inspector Justina Beeken, Crawley district policing commander, said: “There has been growing tension among this particular group, but I would like to stress that we are not connecting it with the stabbing incident in Bewbush last Thursday. We are certain that the two incidents are not related.

“However, I will not tolerate this sort of disorder and my officers are working to deal with those responsible and identify others involved. I am determined that we will put an end to this unrest and I am appealing to members of the local community, who are understandably concerned and who do feel threatened, to help us with our enquiries.

“We are working with our partners in Crawley Borough Council and from other agencies to tackle the issues that have caused this incident. We are appealing for calm, and for members of the community to assist us in resolving tensions.

Any informattion to police via email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call 101 quoting serial 1628 of 27/07. Call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

All of the arrested people come from Crawley.

A 24-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy were arrested on suspicion of affray; a 21-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent and violent disorder; a 16-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of threats to kill; a 14-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place; a 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer and using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour; and a 48-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm.