Call for more help for Alzheimer’s sufferers
JIM and Brenda Smith were arguably the most well known of Crawley’s 37 councillors and, between them, represented the people of Langley Green for decades.
Jim stepped down from his role in 2010 for health reasons but it is only now that he and Brenda have felt able to openly discuss the fact that he has Alzheimer’s.
Brenda resigned from her role as leader of Crawley’s Labour Group last week, primarily because she wanted to spend more quality time with her 84-year-old husband.
But she is also determined to raise the profile of the disease, which affects half a million people across the country, and is calling for more money to be put into research.
Brenda passionately believes that more help should be made available to sufferers and their families and that Alzheimer’s, dementia and other mental illlness should not be treated as a social stigma.
For the full interview see next week’s Observer.
- BREAKING NEWS: Oakhurst Grange Nursing Home to close
- Bury winger Worrall rejects Crawley Town move
- Fund to be set up in memory of boy who died after mirror fell on him
- Traffic cones come to life in Crawley town centre!
- Crawley council leader to contest claims he sexually harassed fellow councillor with text messages
- Police officer denies shoplifting at Crawley Tesco
- New Sainsbury’s store in Horley
- Number of shops rises for first time in six years ... but tough times lie ahead
- From the back pages, May 9: Advantage Chelsea and Arsenal in race for Champions League as Tottenham’s 23-year winless streak at Stamford Bridge goes on
- Have your say on High Street parking plans
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Crawley
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 15 C to 26 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 12 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: East