Anvils clam up against Oystermen
Crawley Down Gatwick 1
Whitstable Town 1
Crawley Down’s inconsistent run of form continued with another disappointing display in drawing 1-1 with basement side Whitstable.
Anvils’ changes saw Craig Richards back from suspension and starts for striker Gaby Odunaike and new signing Byron Napper. Oystermen’s Scott Heard tested Anvils custodian Tony Di Bernardo and then fired well over before Odunaike had a goal ruled out for offside at the other end.
On 20 minutes the Anvils came close when Steve Sargent fired a rasping shot from the right which crashed against the underside of the crossbar and out. Napper then fired over before setting up Miles Mitchell, but with the goal looming his blazed wide as half time ended goalless.
The visitors made a bright start to the second half with Morrish firing over and keeper Di Bernardo forced into a double save from Heard. But on the hour Sargent crossed for Blewden, and though surrounded by defenders he turned a whipped the ball into the net to put the Anvils ahead. But with ten minutes remaining Whitstable gained a deserved point when Raggett headed home for 1-1.
Anvils: Di Bernardo, Slocombe, Mitchell, Richards, Donaghey, Page (Bingham), Sargent, Napper, Odunaike, Blewden, Logan.
MOM: Steve Sargent.
- BREAKING NEWS: Oakhurst Grange Nursing Home to close
- Fund to be set up in memory of boy who died after mirror fell on him
- Bury winger Worrall rejects Crawley Town move
- Traffic cones come to life in Crawley town centre!
- Crawley council leader to contest claims he sexually harassed fellow councillor with text messages
- New Sainsbury’s store in Horley
- From the back pages, May 9: Advantage Chelsea and Arsenal in race for Champions League as Tottenham’s 23-year winless streak at Stamford Bridge goes on
- Have your say on High Street parking plans
- Arts and crafts at May Day fair
- From the back pages, May 8 - Alex Ferguson special: David Moyes to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Crawley
Tuesday 18 June 2013
Temperature: 14 C to 22 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 15 C to 27 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North