Gatwick Airport has recorded the busiest month in its history.·
Some 4.53 million passengers pass through the airport in August, 3.7 per cent more than the previous year.
The airport has achieved 30 months of consecutive growth with 39.5 million passengers passing through the airport in the last twelve months, an increase of 6 per cent per year on year.
Gatwick CEO Stewart Wingate said: “Airports Commission analysis predicted Gatwick would reach 40 million annual passengers in 2024 yet, in August 2015, we reached the 39.5 million passengers mark. We are in touching distance of 40 million and on track to reach this milestone within a matter of weeks.”
He said this was proof that Gatwick’s bid to build a second runway should be excepted.
A report by the Airport Commission into airport capacity has recommended that a new runway should be built at Heathrow.
Mr Wingate added: “This is more evidence of the flaws in the Airports Commission and we will continue to make our case to Government as it approaches a decision. Gatwick remains the best and most deliverable option to actually deliver the runway that the UK needs.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.