Eight families whose loved ones died at Orchid View care home have been awarded compensation.
Last year, the West Sussex coroner said there had been ‘institutional abuse’ at the home in Copthorne where 19 residents died. It was ruled five of those deaths could be attributed to neglect.
Now a private settlement has been reached between the families and the owners of the care home.
Speaking to reporters on Tuesday (December 9), Laura Barlow, of solicitors Irwin Mitchell, said: “Many of the family members are still campaigning for change in the care home industry and I hope personally that the settlements on these cases send a clear message to care home providers that they cannot expect to get away lightly if they treat their residents in the way that residents at Orchid View were treated.”
A Serious Case Review into the care home was ordered following the deaths of Wilfred Gardner, 85, John Holmes, 85, Enid Trodden, 86, Margaret Tucker, 77, and Jean Halfpenny, 77.
The review, which was published in June, made more than 30 recommendations to reduce the likelihood of a repeat of incidents of substandard care, management and neglect such as that at the home, which was run by Southern Cross Healthcare.
Some of the family members formed the Orchid View Relatives Action Group in the hope of putting pressure on the Government to enforce change to the regulation of the care industry.
After the review, Mrs Halfpenny’s daughter Linzi Collings called for a full independent public inquiry: “to ensure that every care home across the country is performing to a high standard and providing quality care, rather than running as a business with money rather than welfare as its core value.”