Crawley 0 Southend 3: Reds go out of Trophy

Crawley Town V Accrington Stanley (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-150927-230154008
Crawley Town V Accrington Stanley (Pic by Jon Rigby) SUS-150927-230154008

Crawley Town were comfortably knocked out of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy 3-0 in the second round at the hands of Southend.

Two goals in the first 39 minutes by Myles Weston and Joe Pigott were added to in the 87th minute with a second goal by Pigott.

It means Crawley’s fans must wait until a little longer to see their first home win of the season.

Crawley made six changes to the side which narrowly lost 2-1 at Plymouth.

Callum Preston made his debut in goal in place of Freddie Woodman who was on duty for England U21s.

Birmingham City loanee Mitch Hancox also made his home in defence while Simon Walton, Lee Barnard, Luke Rooney, Roarie Deacon returned to the starting line-up.

Joe McNerney returned from injury and Gavin Tomlin featured for the first time this season on the bench.

Matt Harrold, Ross Jenkins (cup tied) and Josh Yorwerth (Wales U21s) did not play.

Southend made five changes from the line-up which lost 1-0 at Burton Albion with among others, former Crawley loanee Anthony Wordsworth starting.

Southend made the better start and looked dominant in the early stages as Anthony Worsdworth forced Preston into action with a defelcted shot.

Weston then impressed as he cut in from the right and launched a dipping shot which forced a spectacular diving save from Preston.

Weston then gave Southend the lead on 26 minutes when he ran on to a ball from Wordsworth and slotted into the net from the left.

Moments later Weston had another go, this time being well blocked by Liam Donnelly before breaking away for an attack down the left.

Southend soon went 2-0 up in the 39th minute as Joe Pigott scored a speculative goal from a narrow angle which took an unlucky deflection.

Just before half-time Preston was in action again, keeping out another attempt by Weston following a good run.

Reds made a change at the start of the second half with Lewis Young replacing Liam Donnelly.

Young soon set up Barnard for an attempt which trickled over the line but was ruled offside.

Shamir Fenelon replaced Luke Rooney as Mark Yates looked to give all his non-first choice strikers a run out.

Crawley worked hard in search for a goal with two shots by substitute Shamir Fenelon going wide.

Young disappointingly lifted a free-kick from an enticing range well over the bar.

Roarie Deacon showed confidence gained from scoring on Saturday and was twice denied by catches by keeper Dan Bentley.

Southend sealed victory with three minutes to go with a third goal and the second on the night for Pigott, who was played in and fired in off the underside of the crossbar.

REDS: Preston, Walton, McNerney, Bradley, Edwards, Smith, Barnard (Tomlin 71), Rooney (Fenelon 55), Deacon, Donnelly (Young 46), Hancox.

Unused subs: Scales, Henderson

SOUTHEND: Bentley, White, Coker, Wordsworth (Timlin 58), Prosser, Payne (Mooney 75), Weston (Worrall 82), Atkinson, Bolger, Deegan, Pigott.

Unused subs: Leonard, Williams

REFEREE: Tim Robinson

ATTENDANCE: 1,139 (370 away)

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!