On-the-spot fines for begging in the town ‘should be looked at’ by Crawley Borough Council, its Tory opposition leader has said.
Cllr Duncan Crow (Con, Furnace Green) made the comments after Worthing Borough Council voted to introduce fines for street drinkers and aggressive beggars.
He said: “We should look at all options to deal with begging including public space protection orders.
“There is no one-size-fits-all solution but the ability to issue fines could have the potential to help reduce the amount of begging, alongside other efforts such as encouraging people to donate to homeless charities rather than give to people begging.”
Cllr Peter Lamb (Lab Northgate), leader of the council, said: “I’d need to talk with local homelessness charities and look into the detail of the policy before commenting.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.