Crawley volunteers have formed a campaign group which says the UK remaining in the European Union (EU) is in the town’s interest.
A spokesman for Crawley Stronger In said: “Gatwick Airport is the ‘European airport for the UK’ because it has more choice of European destinations than any other airport in the UK and more than 60 per cent of European air traffic passes through Gatwick.
“This means the EU Referendum could have a significant impact on the town’s development, especially as around 11,385 jobs in Crawley depend on trade with the EU.”
He added: “Crawley is also known for its tolerance, diversity, and harmony amongst its residents. Much like with the EU, our local community works best when we are fully engaged, cooperating together, and taking a leading role in different projects.
“The combination of economical factors, along with the cosmopolitan feel of Crawley, are hugely influential reasons as to why we decided to create a Stronger In team for Crawley specifically.”
The group ran a street stall in Queens Square on the day it launched on May 14.
Crawley MP Henry Smith has said staying in the EU would threaten the UK’s history of freedom, democracy and global connectivity.
A referendum on whether the UK should leave or remain the EU will be held on June 23.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.