Crawley Borough Council has pledged to do ‘everything it can’ to encourage developers to help Britain’s steel industry.
The Crawley Developer and Partner Charter now includes a reference to the purchase of steel made in Britain where possible, said a Crawley Labour Party statement.
Cllr Peter Smith, cabinet member for Planning and Economic Development, said: “We as a council, and as a town, need to do what we can to help secure the long-term of a steel industry in Britain.
“We have already launched our successful ‘Buy Local’ campaign last September, as well as amending the council’s procurement policies to include local businesses, and this initiative gives us an opportunity to work with Manor Royal and other businesses to review our use of steel in Crawley.
“We must all do our bit to support British industry and Crawley must play its part in this, where practicable.”
Thousands of jobs were put at risk after Tata Steel announced plans to sell its UK steel business. The industry has seen a succession of job cuts in the UK.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.