Crawley man in hospital after disposable barbecue is put in bin

Fire crews treated a man for smoke inhalation
Fire crews treated a man for smoke inhalation

A man was taken to hospital after a disposable barbecue set fire to a bin.

Two fire crews were called to a house in Downland Drive, Southgate, at 7.30pm on Sunday (July 19).

A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters used a hose to put out the fire.

Firefighters gave the occupier first aid for a burn injury.

He was taken to hospital by ambulance.

A fire spokesman said: “Never put hot ashes or disposable barbecues straight into a dustbin or wheelie bin – they could melt the plastic and cause a fire.”

The flames caused five per cent damage to the house’s front porch.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.