Crawley MP Henry Smith has signed a petition to protect animals by banning fireworks being set off outside of traditional annual events.
The campaign calls for the general public’s use of fireworks to be restricted to around New Year’s Eve, Guy Fawkes, Diwali and Chinese New Year celebrations.
The e-petition has more than 74,000 signatures.
It says: “Fireworks now occur at all times of the day and evening for many weeks during the autumn and winter.
“Pet and animal owners struggle to keep their companion animals safe during this extended period.
“We call for fireworks use by the general public to be permitted on traditional celebration dates only.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.