The number of young people out of work in Crawley has risen slightly over the past month.
According to figures released by the Office of National Statistics on Wednesday, September 16, 160 people aged between 18-24 were reported to be out of work in the town in August.
The figures show a three per cent rise over the past month but also outline a drop of about 20 per cent in the jobless total between August 2014 and August 2015.
In total 935 people were reported claiming Jobseekers Allowance in Crawley last month.
The total shows no change in unemployment over the past month but indicates a fall of around 13 per cent on the previous year figures.
Simon Hobday, relationship manager at the jobcentre Plus, said he expected the numbers to start falling in the future with new developments and businesses set to move into Gatwick.
He said: “It shows there is hope and opportunities here which there may not be in other parts of the country.”
Unemployment was up across the country with 10,000 more people out of work between the May-to-August period compared to the three months previous.
In West Sussex unemployment has increased by 3 per cent with 4416 currently out of work in the county.