Bogus solar panel fitters have tried to enter two Crawley homes.
Door knockers claiming to be part of the borough council’s solar panel programme asked residents for access to their homes this week, said a council spokesman.
“We advise council tenants to be wary of anyone asking to their homes if you haven’t already received a letter from us.
“All door knockers must carry ID and a supporting letter from Crawley Borough Council.”
The local authority has begun installing Solar PV arrays on Crawley Homes properties.
The scheme was set to last for the next four weeks at least and hoped to save tenants up to £100 per year on fuel bills.
The council is working with companies, Prolectric and HBS, on the project, which was being delivered through its membership of Your Energy Sussex, a partnership of Sussex councils with Carillion Energy.
A council spokesman said: “Tenants whose homes the council and its subcontractors would like to explore further will always be contacted by the council via letter before any survey appointment is made.
“If you hear or see anything suspcisious, please call us on 01293 438000.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.