Four deny taking part in mass Bewbush brawl

editorial image

A mother from Broadfield has denied going to take part in a mass brawl in Bewbush.

Doris Robertson, 50, of St Aubin Close, Broadfield, Hansley Robertson, 25, of Britten Close, Bewbush, Kenny Robertson, 23, of Martyrs Avenue, Langley Green, and a 17-year-old boy all deny violent disorder.

Kenny Robertson also denies dangerous driving.

All four are on trial at Lewes Crown Court. Prosecutor Jeffrey Lamb said the Robertsons and the teenager were on opposite sides of a fight near the entrance to Bewbush Community Park on July 27, 2014.

He said a witness saw between five and ten people attacking the teenager at about 7pm that day.

Mr Lamb said she screamed at them to stop but was ignored. As she left the scene she was hit by a car, knocking her into nearby bushes.

Prosecutors say the car was driven by Kenny Robertson.

The witness, who was described as shocked and bruised, was later taken to hospital.

Other witnesses described seeing a solid silver object, similar to a crowbar, being used to hit the teenager.

A wheel wrench bar was found at the scene - prosecutors say Doris, Kenny, and Hansley Robertson all used it as a weapon.

Giving evidence through an interpreter, Doris Robertson said she only went to the scene because she had received a phonecall to say that someone she knew was being beaten up in the park.

She said she called Kenny Robertson, who drove to pick up herself and Hansley Robertson so they could go to the park and help.

Miss Little, representing the teenager, asked why she had not simply asked Kenny to go straight to the park.

Mrs Robertson replied: “I didn’t think about that.”

Miss Little said: “You must have known that it would take longer for Kenny to come and pick you up than it would be to have gone straight there.”

Last week, the witness who was struck by the car told the jury she had been walking to a shop to buy a bar of chocolate when she saw a group of up to ten men and youths fighting.

She said: “There was a boy on the floor without a top on. He was dark-skinned and probably under 25, and he was being kicked and punched.

“I went over and screamed at them to stop but obviously they didn’t hear me or take any notice, so I walked away because I thought it was dangerous. They were all attacking him - I thought they were going to kill him, the way he was on the floor like that.”

She walked away but stopped nearby to talk to a neighbour, while more passers-by stopped to watch the fight.

She said: “I saw a car in front of me, a silver car, and I said to my neighbour, ‘I’m going home’.

“She was going to walk with me. All of a sudden he revved his engine, drove at me and hit me on my right hip.

“I fell back into the bushes, smacked my head and got gravel all in my left hand. He drove off. I was in agony, and the next thing I know I was in an ambulance.”

She suffered severe bruising.

All four defendants deny the charges.

The trial continues.

* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.