Firefighters found a lighter after a Horley cottage was destroyed by arson.
Two Surrey Fire and Rescue crews were called to Kerriemuir in Langshott at 4.52pm yesterday (Tuesday June 21).
A spokesman said it was believed the fire, which completely destroyed the empty cottage, was started deliberately.
He added firefighters reported a lighter was found at the scene before the incident was handed over to Surrey Police.
The Horley and Woking crews tackled the fire with breathing apparatus and hose reels.
No one was injured and no roads were closed, said the spokesman.
A police spokesman said no one was arrested and added: “Surrey Police are investigating an incident, believed to be arson of a derelict building, that took place in Langshott, Horley on 21 June.
“The incident is believed to have taken place at around 4.50pm and although officers are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the fire, it is believed to have been started deliberately.
“If you think you have the information we need to bring those responsible to justice, please contact Surrey Police on 101, quoting crime reference number 45160052889 or you can report incidents online at: http://www.surrey.police.uk/contact-us/report-online/.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.