A man has been jailed for nine years for sexually assaulting two children in Crawley.
Eden Eustice, 33, of no fixed address, was sentenced at Hove Trial Centre today (Monday March 21).
He had pleaded guilty to four counts of sexual assault on a child under 13, three counts of sexually touching a child under 13, causing a child under 13 to witness a sexual act, and sexual activity in the presence of a child under 13.
The court heard that the offences were committed in Crawley.
Jeffrey Lamb, representing Eustice, said: “What comes across in his letter [to the judge] I hope is profound remorse for what he’s done.
“He’s a man of previously good character.
“There’s nothing realistically to say on his behalf, other than his guilty plea.
“He knows that only a prison sentence is coming today.”
Judge David Rennie commented: “His distorted view of things had [the first victim] making him do it - it’s a way of blaming the child.
He told Eustice the offences had been ‘absolutely appalling’, committed against children who had an ‘absolute and inalienable’ right to be kept safe.
“Only a long prison sentence can be justified, to punish you for your crimes,” he added.
Judge Rennie approved a Sexual Harm Prevention Order, barring Eustice from having unsupervised contact with anyone under 16 without the permission of a parent or guardian who had been approved by social services and was aware of his criminal record.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.