A shared cycleway and footpath will be made in Crawley High Street.
Crawley council’s planning committee permitted the proposals at a meeting on Monday (September 21).
The route will run along the eastern side of the road and connect to the existing cycle paths in Pegler Way and The Boulevard.
The existing footpath will be widened from 2.7m to 3m except near where there are large trees.
The existing crossings at the both ends of the routes will be upgraded from puffin to toucan crossings.
The council received one letter which said the plan was a ‘missed opportunity’.
Concerns were raised over motorists having priority over cyclists at the two side entrances to cross the cycleway in the High Street.
A spokesman for Horsham & Crawley Cyclists Touring Club said it supported the objections raised.
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.