NO ONE knows what turned Roy Whiting into an evil sex monster.

None of his friends or neighbours could believe it when he was jailed in 1995 for kidnapping and sexually assaulting a ten-year-old girl.

One pal even reckoned: "He came across as being a very genuine guy.

"I can t see him killing anybody - I hope he didn t do it - because I liked him.

But just three years after Whiting s release from prison he snatched Sarah Payne from a country lane and murdered her before burying her naked body in a shallow grave.

Roy William Whiting was born on January 26, 1959. He grew up with his parents, brother and sister in Martyrs Avenue, Langley Green.

He went to Jordans (now Langley Green First and Middle School) and then Ifield Community College (then called Lady Margaret School).

Christine Blything, who still lives in Martyrs Avenue, went to school with Whiting.

She remembered: "As a schoolboy growing up he was very quiet, he kept himself to himself.

"He had few friends but he never got up to anything or did anything wrong.

"You could have just passed him by and not thought anything.

"Even at school he didn t get into trouble. He was a bit of a loner, I think he liked being left alone.

"When he was done for the young girl, that s when I was shocked and I couldn t believe it

"I was shocked that he had taken children and then when I heard this, I thought no it can t be true.

"I wouldn t have thought he would have done the first and taken a child and so my belief in him has gone because if he could have done that - who knows.

Whiting s parents split up when he was 17 and after that he became increasingly close to his father George.

After leaving school Whiting, who worked for a while on the meat counter at Langley Green Co-op, spent most of his time engrossed with cars and bikes - he had few friends.

During the 1970s he was a star member of the Crawley Tigers cycle speedway team which used to compete at Cherry Lane Playing Fields in Langley Green.

By the 80s and 90s Whiting was obsessed with banger racing and boats.

He had a workshop in Bonnets Lane, Ifield, regularly competed at Smallfield Raceway for a team called The Outlaws and worked as an MOT tester at Kirkham Motors in Manor Royal.

During 1983 Whiting even spent time working with youngsters at Cherry Lane Adventure Playground.

In June 1986 Whiting married Linda Booker, who still lives in Broadfield, and the pair had a son together but they split up just nine months later before divorcing in 1989/90.

But still no one knew the perverted desires which festered in his mind.

Another friend reckoned: "It was completely out of character because you never found a nicer bloke and he did anything for anybody.

"He used to repair my cars for me and he wouldn t take any money.

"When we were told what it was about none of us could believe it.

After his release from prison Whiting lived at a centre for down and outs in Faygate before moving to a flat on the coast in Littlehampton.