Liam Barrett, who lives in Beverley Mews with his girlfriend Sam and their one year old son, said it had been a scary incident.
He and his family are now staying with relatives, while other evacuated families went to the nearby Holiday Inn Express.
“The hotel across the road opened the lounge for our residents as all rooms were taken, I would say about twenty of us were evacuated,” he said, adding that two or three other young families had been involved.
Liam said he and a neighbour had knocked on flat doors to wake everyone up before getting out.”
He understood that the fire had broken out in a third floor electric cupboard.
The building was still cordoned off early this morning, with fire investigators due to inspect the building from around 9.30am.
There have been no reports of any injuries.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.