A Crawley mother went back to her roots when she grew a four stone pumpkin.
Kirsty Weston, 30, who spent her childhood playing in her grandfather’s farm, surprised her family when she showed relatives photos of her large seasonal vegetable.
Her mother, Sylvia Morgan, returned the favour when she shared a photo of Kirsty’s three-year-old son Leyland with the pumpkin with the Obby without telling her.
Sylvia, 58, of Gossops Green, said: “I just couldn’t believe the size of it.
“I’m hoping that it might inspire other people to grow a bigger one. ”
Sylvia used to grow vegetables in Bewbush gardens and her parents owned a farm in Cowfold.
Kirsty, of Lutyens Close, Bewbush, took Leyland with her when she tended to her pumpkin in a Bewbush allotment.
She also used it to grow rhubarb, butternut squash, cucumbers, cauliflowers, tomotoes, runner beans, beetroot, potatoes, marrow, onions and strawberries.
Kirsty told Sylvia the pumpkin ‘just grew and grew’ without any special nutrients.
Sylvia said: “I’m quite proud of her because it’s her first lot of vegetables.
“It must be in her genes.
“It’s gone on and on through the family.
“It’s nice to see that they are keeping it up.
“She’ll be surprised and Leyland will be surprised when they see the picture in the paper.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.