A police helicopter was called after a 78-year-old woman went missing from her care home in Crawley.
Deerswood Lodge Care Home, Ifield Green, Ifield, reviewed its procedures after the resident was found more than an hour after she was reported missing at 5.20pm on Sunday last week (September 20).
A member of the public found her at 6.35pm in Birkdale Drive, Ifield West, said police.
A spokesman for Shaw healthcare, which runs the home, said it tries to balance residents’ independence and care team checks.
She said: “One of our residents at Deerswood Lodge was checked on at 4.45pm, but when another member of staff went to take her to dinner at 5pm, she realised that she had left the premises.
“As soon as this was discovered it triggered a series of safeguarding procedures, including reporting the incident to the police, involving our safeguarding and quality teams and informing the resident’s relatives.
“While the resident was found safe and well a short time later, the incident has led to a review of our procedures and the way in which they are implemented at Deerswood Lodge to ensure that we do everything possible to prevent incidents like this from happening again.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.