Twenty new pay and display machines have been installed in Crawley Borough Council’s car parks in Orchard Street and the Town Hall.
A council spokeswoman said their contactless and chip and pin payment was due to be activated shortly.
The new machines replaced outdated models which were unable to allocate more time if the amount paid was greater than the fee charged. They offered linear tariffs and linked to an online system in the Town Hall which enabled better monitoring and faster responses to faults, said the spokeswoman.
Cllr Colin Lloyd, Cabinet member for Environment and Sustainability, said: “Our old parking machines were very old and no longer fit for purpose. I’m pleased to say the new ones mean no more frantic searches for the right change while trying to get to that appointment on time!”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.