Two passenger jets were involved in a near miss incident at Gatwick earlier this year, an official investigation has found.
In a report recently released by the UK Airprox Board (UKAB), safety inspectors said the incident occurred on April 25 as two Airbus 319 passenger jets took off from the airport.
The UKAB say the incident took place after an air traffic controller failed to check the path was clear before ordering one of the jets to take off. The error was noticed a few moments later and the pilots were ordered to take “avoiding action”.
The UKAB report reads: “In looking at the risk of collision, although it was recognised that the controller’s actions had caused the confliction between the subject aircraft, the Board noted that he had quickly taken action to regain control of the situation.”
Poor co-ordination by air traffic staff ahead of the incident was also a contributing factor, the UKAB said.
The full report can be found at www.airproxboard.org.uk.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.