People asked to be more careful after three tumble dryer fires

Fire service
Fire service

People have been asked not to leave their homes with their tumble dryers running after West Sussex firefighters attended three fires involving them in the last ten days.

A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said crews put out the fires in Rhodes Way, Tilgate, Chichester and Sompting. No one was hurt.

Jackie Boyle, WSFRS community fire safety officer, said: “While the weather is cold and wet, it’s natural that more people are using their tumble dryers to dry their laundry at the moment. However, people need to remember that these appliances contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that can get very hot. If they are not cleaned or properly maintained, fluff and lint can build up over time and catch fire.

“We’d advise people not to run electrical appliances like tumble dryers or washing machines while they are out or overnight while they are in bed. It is also really important to have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home. A working smoke alarm will give you that vital early warning to a developing fire.”