Crawley pensioner given oxygen after microwave fire

Witnesses sought
Witnesses sought

Emergency services treated an elderly man for smoke inhalation following a microwave fire.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to the maisonette in Durham Close, Tilgate, at 9.11pm yesterday (Wednesday February 11).

A spokesman said the man was given oxygen and checked by paramedics.

His first floor home was filled with smoke caused by cooking in his microwave.

An operator at a monitoring centre linked to the man’s Careline System fire alarm called firefighters to the scene.

The two crews who attended left at 9.35pm.