Crawley’s recycling centre was evacuated after refuse caught fire in one of its tips.
Two fire crews were at the scene in Metcalf Way, County Oak, at around 3pm today (Wednesday September 10).
A spokesman for Crawley Fire Station said the centre was evacuated and its fire suppression system was spouting out a “mist of water” when fire crews arrived.
The spokesman added: “There was rubbish everywhere. They got a digger and dragged some of the rubbish out.
“We used a thermal imaging camera and damped down the smouldering bits of rubbish.”