Street lighting near a garage area will be improved after residents raised safety concerns.
A Crawley Borough Council spokesman said: “Following concerns from local people, the council has been investigating options to improve lighting levels at the Shipley Road garage area in Ifield.
“In June the council wrote to residents to ask for views on draft plans to install a new street lighting column through its Community Safety Improvements Programme (COMSIP). The proposals were supported by residents during the consultation, with all respondents feeling that the scheme would help to improve safety.”
COMSIP looks to undertake small-scale improvements to address issues of crime and anti-social behaviour.
Councillor Michael Jones, Cabinet member for Public Protection, said: “We all want to feel safe in the places where we live, work and relax, and it is important that we are able to go about our day-to-day business without fear of crime and anti-social behaviour.
“I’m delighted that this improved lighting scheme has got local support and been approved. Once installed, it will help improve safety in and around the garage area.”
* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.crawleyobserver.co.uk
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/crawleyobserver
3) Follow us on Twitter @Crawley_Obby
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Crawley Observer - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.