Warning over disposable barbecues after fires

People are being encouraged to take care to ensure their disposable barbeques and coals are completely cool before throwing them away.

Tuesday, 1st July 2014, 3:12 pm
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service

This follows several fires that have broken out in piles of rubbish in recent weeks, some of which are believed to be caused by still smouldering barbeques.

These were at a Household Waste and Recycling Site, in a dustcart, and at the recycling facility at Ford. Investigations are still underway.

Lionel Barnard, West Sussex County Council cabinet member for residents’ services, said: “It’s worrying that residents are not ensuring their disposable barbeques are completely cold before putting them in the bin.

“It’s bad enough that these fires have happened at our waste sites and in vehicles carrying waste, but this could have happened at someone’s home.

“People must ensure the coals are completely cold before placing the used barbeque in the rubbish bin.”

Russ Ellcome, Viridor’s operation manager, added: “Fires at waste sites and in vehicles are extremely dangerous and put crew and site operatives at unnecessary risk.

“Whilst we want residents to enjoy the summer weather, the risk of a fire starting in the waste can be significantly reduced if people ensure their barbeques are out.”

Waste collection crews across West Sussex have been told to be vigilant for binned barbeques.

If you have a gas barbeque, empty gas canisters must be disposed of at one of the Household Waste and Recycling Sites, not placed with general household rubbish or recycling as they are explosive. To find your nearest site go to www.recycleforwestsussex.org.