A house blaze in Broadfield yesterday started accidentally, fire service officials said today.
Five fire engines were sent out to tackle the ‘roof alight’ in Sheraton Walk, Chippendale Road, just before 3pm yesterday (June 29).
A West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We can confirm the fire was of accidental ignition.
“The roof was 100 per cent destroyed by the blaze. The rest of the house suffered water damage.”
No one had been hurt in the fire and it has not been confirmed how the blaze started.
Eyewitness Jessica Harden, 46, a petrol filling station manager in Three Bridges, lives a few doors down in Sheraton Walk.
She said: “The roof was on fire, spreading to both houses on the sides.
“All houses had no one in them and they got it under control.
“No one was harmed – just shocked. I don’t know the cause of the fire.”
Another eyewitness, Mark Dunford, 38, who lives just off Creasys Drive, was shocked to discover the blaze on his way home from work.
He said: “I was shocked when I got home and to see so many fire engines. There were five.
“You don’t expect to see that when you get home. It looked like there was a hole in the roof.
“My thoughts go to the family, it looks quite devastating.”
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.