Will cricket fans be allowed into Sussex's Vitality Blast matches?

Sussex are hoping to get at least some fans into the ground when this season's delayed Vitality Blast T20 competition is played in September.

Sunday, 12th July 2020, 9:45 am
The Vitality Blast returns in September

Chief executive Rob Andrew says it will depend on government and ECB advice nearer the time but the county would love to be able to allow fans into the County Ground.

As reported on Friday, the 18 first-class counties will play a shortened county championship programme for the Bob Willis Trophy in August, followed by a Blast tournament in September which is expected to feature five home and five away games.

Fixture news is expected within a few days.

Andrew said: “It’s always been a fundamental desire to get cricket back on and I think the sport – including the PCA and the players – have stuck together through the crisis to make it happen.

“We would love to have some spectators back in the grounds for the Blast, but that will be determined by what the Government says. It would help protect TV revenue, sponsorship and give our members and supporters cricket to watch.”

As reported, virtually all the Sussex players are now back in training at Hove and preparing for the start of the Bob Willis Trophy red-ball competition on August 1.

No decision has been made by Sussex on when head coach Jason Gillespie will come back. He has been in Australia since lockdown started in March.

Gillespie said last month that he wanted to return, but this may depend on whether he must quarantine when he arrives in the UK. He has been in regular contact with chief executive Rob Andrew and performance manager Keith Greenfield.