Bridges leave it late to secure bragging rights


Ryman League South

Three Bridges 1 East Grinstead 1

This game was very competitive and even throughout the 90 minutes.

Grinstead went ahead with a superb goal, and Bridges left it late before earning their point.

The last 20 minutes saw the visitors visibly tire and they owed much to the brilliance of experienced keeper Chris Winterton by the final whistle.

Kieron Thorp made a good save from the ever combatative Trevor McCreadie inside the first ten minutes, and Bridges responded with Lee Carney chipping through to Sam MacVicar, this being the first of many shots the Bridges striker had blocked.

MacVicar turned provider for Hakeem Adelakun, whose shot was similarly blocked, but after 36 minutes McCreadie put the Wasps in front with a glorious fierce angled drive.

Adelakun had a purple patch for Bridges and saw a solid drive pushed away before his excellent cross found MacVicar’s head only for Winterton to comfortably save.

MacVicar and McCreadie both had early second half chances, and after 66 minutes Ben Godfrey had a shot blocked with the follow up by the luckless MacVicar being somehow hacked away.

Further chances came to Godfrey and Steve Sargent, whilst a free-kick by Ross Morley came dangerously close for Grinstead.

Winterton made yet another good save from MacVicar, but he was beaten at last in the 82nd minute when MacVicar’s cross was bravely headed home by Godfrey.

The lively Javion Campbell probably should have done better with a late free-kick, but the game was summed up three minutes into the allotted extra six added by an excellent referee when Winterton, whose time wasting tactics had led to the added minutes, made yet another fine block to deny MacVicar.

Bridges: Thorp, Mobsby, Daniel, Sargent (Mutongerwa 68), Donaghey, Crellin, Godfrey, Carney, MacVicar, Adelakun (Pulling 77), Whitehead.

Unused subs: Newman-Knott, Gannon, Brazier.

Referee : Daniel Austin

Attendance: 93

Aerotron Man of the Match: Ben Godfrey