Bridges let slip five goals as they return to the bottom-two

Three Bridges FC v Faversham Town FC. Pic Steve Robards  SR1701463 SUS-170129-143051001
Three Bridges FC v Faversham Town FC. Pic Steve Robards SR1701463 SUS-170129-143051001

Despite taking the lead, Bridges crumbled again and are now back in the bottom-two as they struggle to avoid relegation.

It seems bizarre to say that most of the visitors didn’t have bad games, but unfortunately they suffered as a unit against a team desperate to maintain their play-off push following a run of a single point from their previous four games.

Bridges took the lead after eleven minutes following good work by Allan Tait, a lovely flick on by the impressive Lee Hall and a clinical finish by Tony Garrod.

Garrod himself had a terrific game and often worried the Carshalton defence, but a mixture of hurried shots and some good blocks kept him to a single goal on an afternoon where his non-stop running was worthy of a personal hat-trick at the very least.

The only Bridges player better than Garrod was goalkeeper Martin Grant, who however will have been disappointed to be beaten by Bobby Price’s long-range effort within two minutes of Bridges taking the lead.

After that though, Grant made numerous saves, starting with a double save to keep out quick fire efforts from Ricardo Panton and Kingsley Aikhionbare.

Jensen Grant set up Garrod for a shot that ended in the side netting and Alex Rose made a great interception at the other end to deny Aikhionbare, but just as Paul Faili’s men looked set to go in all-square at the break, Athletic snatched two quick goals.

After 41 minutes, Price snapped up the rebound after Omari Hibbert’s initial shot had been blocked, and on the stroke of half-time Aikhionbare breezed through far too easily for comfort to give the Robins breathing space.

Garrod made a great interception before keeper Joe Tupper blocked his shot and Devon Fender cleared off the line from Tommy Bradford before a horrible miss by Omari Hibbert.

A low cross by Garrod was almost turned in by Jensen Grant, but after 71 minutes Aikhionbare beat the offside trap to make it four.

Chances continued to come at both ends, Rose seeing a drive pushed round the post and Akhionbare being denied by Martin Grant’s feet.

But ten minutes from time Carshalton completed their nap hand as Price cut the ball back for a simple tap in by substitute Ricky Korboa.

Just seven games remaining for Bridges to survive, starting with home games against Chipstead this Saturday and then Greenwich Borough next Tuesday evening.

Bridges: M.Grant, Fender, Rose; J.Grant, Hall, Odofin, Sargent, Adelakun, Tait (Wilson 71); Garrod, Allen-Djilali (Cook 46)

Attendance: 298

Aerotron Man of the Match:

Martin Grant